Welcome to St Gabriel’s Catholic Primary School Bexley, a school that has a strong sense of community and fosters the wellbeing of each individual.
As a partner in Catholic education we commit ourselves to our students by:
Celebrating being Catholic in Australia
Ensuring quality teaching and learning
Making a difference in our world
Our parish community is administered by Fr. Yacub Barcat and is included within the Parish of St Mary Mackillop – Rockdale City, Arncliffe and Bexley.
Our school motto is ‘Proclaim the Word of God’. We take Jesus as a model for everything we do. We believe that we ‘proclaim’ through our relationships with others and the way we respect the dignity of every person we encounter. Our Religious Education program reflects the Gospel message.
We aspire to excellence in education through programs that are designed to meet the needs of the individual student. St Gabriel’s provides a variety of opportunities for students including an active sports program, a rich creative arts program, supporting students with diverse learning needs, extra curricular programs, debating, student leadership, mission and outreach within the local community.
St Gabriel’s Catholic Primary School offers a safe, inclusive environment where children have the opportunity to grow as individuals ‘in the Garden of Life’. We provide a strong partnership between school and home.
St Gabriel’s Catholic Primary School and St Gabriel’s church was blessed and opened on 29th January 1939. The school consisted of three large classrooms with folding doors that were opened on Sunday or when Mass was celebrated. This meant that each Friday, the classroom doors opened and the classrooms were transformed into the Church. This continued until 1940 when St Gabriel’s Parish Church was opened on the current site on Stoney Creek Road.
A large gold coloured statue of St Gabriel, our patron saint, was situated on the façade facing Highgate Street. It remained here overlooking and giving the feeling of protection to the community until it deteriorated and had to be removed for safety reasons.
The school was originally run by the Sisters of Charity who travelled daily from St Michael’s church. After five years, this was no longer viable the Sisters of St Joseph from Rockdale took over the running of the school until 1982, when John Fitzgerald, the first lay principal, was appointed.
Today at St Gabriel’s we follow the charisms of both of our founding orders.
The Sisters of Charity – to bring to each person the love, the tenderness and concern of Christ for the poor, seeing Christ in everyone we serve.
The Sisters of Saint Joseph – to love God and to love our neighbour, to be one with God, among ourselves and with all others.
At St Gabriel’s Catholic Primary School Bexley, we are very fortunate to have a strong partnership with our parish.
At the beginning of each year students and their families come together to welcome new members of our community through the celebration of Mass. A sausage sizzle usually follows the Mass and is a great opportunity for members of the school and parish communities to come together and extend their friendships.
Each term, we celebrate with a joint family/parish Commitment Mass to show our support to the students and families involved in the sacramental program.
St Gabriel’s Catholic Primary School Bexley includes the wider community in its day-to-day activities. The link between the school and parish is particularly strong. The school works in partnership with the St Vincent de Paul Society and other charities.